Published On: Sat, Mar 27th, 2021

Darien Solar Energy Center : WEC Energy proposes 325MW solar and battery storage project in Wisconsin

Tagged with: | | | | | | | |

WEC Group’s subsidiaries – and are going forward with their plans for the Darien Solar Energy Center, a 325MW solar and battery storage project to be developed with an investment of $446 million.

Contingent on its approval, the solar and battery storage project in will consist of 250MW of solar generation and 75MW of battery storage.

The Darien Solar Energy Center will be able to power 75,000 homes while storing solar-generated power.

The proposed solar and battery storage facility is planned to be built in the Rock and Walworth counties.

Last month, We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service announced their intentions to build the 310MW Paris Solar-Battery Park with an investment of $426 million in Kenosha County, Wisconsin.

– president of We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service, commenting on the Darien Solar Energy Center and the Paris Solar-Battery Park, said: “For the second time this year, we are demonstrating our commitment to a clean energy future with a major investment in renewable energy.

“Not only will these projects maintain reliability and deliver significant savings, building these facilities in Wisconsin will create green jobs and help drive the state’s economy.”

WEC Energy proposes to build 325MW Darien Solar Energy Center in Wisconsin with $446m investment

WEC Energy proposes to build 325MW Darien Solar Energy Center in Wisconsin with $446m investment. Photo courtesy of jaidee from Pixabay.

By 2025, the WEC Energy Group intends to inject $2 billion in new solar, wind and battery storage projects for its utilities. The two new proposed facilities – the Darien solar and battery storage project and the Paris Solar-Battery Park, are part of this plan.

Approval sought for moving ahead with the Darien Solar Energy Center

We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service submitted a proposal for the Darien project to the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin.

Upon getting approval, We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service will have a combined stake of 90% in the Darien Solar Energy Center. The remaining 10% stake in the solar and battery storage facility will be owned by Madison Gas and Electric.

The Darien solar cum battery storage project, which is being developed by Invenergy, is expected to break ground in late 2021. It is slated to be operational by the end of 2023.

Related posts