Published On: Wed, Dec 23rd, 2020

R Cluster gas project : Reliance and BP begin production from Indian gas field

Tagged with:

Indian conglomerate Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) and its partner BP have started production from the R Cluster gas project in the , offshore .

The ultra-deep-water gas project is among the three gas projects the partners are developing in the with a total investment of INR 350 billion ($4.75 billion). The other two offshore Indian gas projects in the block are the Satellites Cluster project and the MJ gas project.

The R Cluster gas project, which is contained in more than 2000m of water depth, was approved by Reliance Industries and BP in June 2017,

It is situated approximately 60km from the existing KG D6 control and riser platform, located off coast of the Kakinada city in the South Indian state Andhra Pradesh.

Reliance Industries and BP have installed a subsea production system as part of their offshore gas project, which is tied back through a subsea pipeline to the KG D6 control and riser platform.

The R Cluster gas project is estimated to hit plateau gas production of approximately 12.9 million standard cubic meters per day (mmscmd) in the coming year.

Reliance, BP start production from the R Cluster gas project in Krishna-Godavari Basin.

Reliance, BP start production from the R Cluster gas project in Krishna-Godavari Basin. Photo courtesy of pierreguycote from Pixabay.

comments on the R Cluster gas project

Mukesh Ambani – chairman and managing director of Reliance Industries, commenting on the commissioning of the R Cluster gas project, said: “We are proud of our partnership with bp that combines our expertise in commissioning gas projects expeditiously, under some of the most challenging geographical and weather conditions.

“This is a significant milestone in India’s energy landscape, for a cleaner and greener gas-based economy.

“Through our deep-water infrastructure in the Krishna Godavari basin we expect to produce gas and meet the growing clean energy requirements of the nation.”

Reliance Industries and BP expect to begin production from the Satellites Cluster gas project in 2021 and the MJ gas project is slated to come on stream the following year.

Put together, the three offshore Indian gas projects in the Krishna-Godavari Basin will aim to develop nearly three trillion cubic feet (tcf) of discovered gas resources by using the available hub infrastructure in KG D6 block.

By 2023, the Reliance gas projects are expected to meet approximately 15% of the gas demand in India.

Commenting on the R Cluster gas project commissioning, , said: “This start-up is another example of the possibility of our partnership with Reliance, bringing the best of both companies to help meet India’s rapidly expanding energy needs. Growing India’s own production of cleaner-burning gas to meet a significant portion of its energy demand, these three new KG D6 projects will support the country’s drive to shape and improve its future energy mix.

Reliance Industries is the operator of the KG D6 block with a stake of 66.67%, while BP holds the remaining 33.33% stake.

Related posts