Published On: Sun, Mar 29th, 2020

Platina oil field details | Offshore oil project in Angola operated by BP

Tagged with: | | | |

Located in block 18 in the territorial waters of Angola, the Platina oil field, which is operated by BP, is scheduled to begin production by the end of 2021.

The Platina deepwater oil project is being developed as a subsea tie-back to the existing BP-operated Greater Plutonio floating production, storage and offloading unit (Greater Plutonio FPSO).

The deepwater oil project is the second development project taken up in block 18 following the Greater Plutonio field, which began production in 2007.

BP with a stake of 46% interest is the operator of block 18 and is partnered by Sonangol Sinopec International, which owns the remaining stake of 54%.

The deepwater block 18 has seen eight oil discoveries till date of which Platina is the first. Spanning nearly 5,000km2, block 18 is located nearly 140 kilometers north-east of the Angolan capital Luanda.

The Platina oil field, which was discovered in 1999, is located in water depths in the range of 1,200-1,500 meters.

It was only in December 2018 that BP and Sonangol agreed to progress to final investment decision on the Angolan oil field.

The Platina oil field will be developed as a subsea tie-back to the Greater Plutonio FPSO

The Platina oil field will be developed as a subsea tie-back to the Greater Plutonio FPSO. Photo courtesy of BP p.l.c.

Platina is set to become the first new operated development for BP in Angola since the PSVM project in Block 31 commenced production in 2013. The field also marks the second phase of development in Block 18, taken up under the Greater Plutonio project, which began in 2007.

In March 2020, TechnipFMC was given an integrated engineering, procurement, construction, and installation (iEPCI) contract, in the range of $75-250 million, for the Platina oil project.

TechnipFMC, under the contract, will handle the manufacturing, delivery, and installation of the subsea equipment for the Platina oil field. Included in these are subsea trees, a production manifold with associated subsea control and connection systems apart from rigid pipelines, flexible jumpers, and umbilicals.

Related posts