Published On: Tue, Oct 15th, 2019

Miyagi Osato Solar Park : Total breaks ground on Japanese solar power plant

Tagged with: | | | | | |

Total Solar International, a subsidiary of French oil and gas giant Total has begun the construction of a 52MW solar power plant called Miyagi Osato Solar Park located in Osato in the Japanese prefecture Miyagi, as per the latest solar industry news. 

The peaking solar power plant had secured financial close and is expected to supply clean electricity to Japanese consumers once it is commissioned in 2021. 

A special-purpose company called Miyagi Osato Solar Park G.K. will be the operator for the new Japanese solar plant. The company is owned by Total Solar International (90%) and SB Energy, a Japanese subsidiary of SoftBank Group, which owns the remaining 10% stake.

The solar power plant, which will comprise of about 116,000 SunPower Maxeon solar panels, is designed to meet the stringent earthquake-resistant building standards of Japan.

Julien Pouget – Senior Vice-President Renewables at Total said: “The Miyagi Osato Solar Park is Total’s third and biggest solar plant in Japan, which will allow us to reach a cumulated capacity of over 100 MWp in the country. This project is in line with Total’s commitment to develop renewable production capacities worldwide and in particular in the Japanese market, where we actively pursue our development.”

Prior to breaking ground on the Miyagi Osato Solar Park, Total Solar International had commissioned two other peaking solar power plants in Japan in the form of the 25MW Miyako Solar Park this year and the 27MW Nanao Power Plant in 2017.  For more solar industry news, keep following Business News Today.

Miyagi Osato Solar Park map

Map showing Total’s three solar power plants in Japan, which includes the 52MW Miyagi Osato Solar Park. Photo courtesy of Total.

Related posts

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>