Published On: Mon, Feb 4th, 2013

Gall Bladder Stones – Formation, Problems and Treatment

Tagged with:

Who are affected with Gall Bladder Stones?

In about 6% of our Indian population, gall bladder stones formation has been reported. In 75% of this population, gall bladder stones didn’t cause any effects, but in the remaining 25%, they posed serious problems. So stones in gallbladder have become a great problem now a days. These stones are believed to be formed in people with high fatty acids intake and obese persons.

But according to recent studies by researchers of the Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, genes and hereditary characteristics effect the gall stones formation. Gall Bladder is present just below the liver and it stores bile juice for some time and aids in the of fats.

Gall Bladder Stones

Gall Bladder Stones

Types of Gall Bladder Stones:

Gall Bladder Stones are formed as microliths in the early stages. Stones vary in size from sand particles to the size of a golf ball.

1. Cholesterol Stones :

These stones are yellowish in colour. The amount of cholesterol in these stones is more than 50%.

2.Pigment Stones :

These pigment stones are black in colour. Bilirubin content is more in these stones.

3. Mixed Stones :

In these mixed stones, the cholesterol content is less than 40% and the bilirubin content is high. Gall stones formaton generally takes places at the age of 30 to 50. Though they are formed, they do not cause any problems in some people. These stones are called as ‘Silent Gall Stones’. Gall Stones causes sudden severe stomach pain in the midnight. It is called as biliary colic. They cause prolems when these stones are struck in the biliary tract and cause obstructon to the flow of bliary juice (bile juice). If stones are small in size they are lost in urine.

Problems caused due to gall stones

  1. When the stones get struck in the passage, it leads to Obstructive . The symptoms like fever, cold, jaundice and stomach pain are observed.
  2. In most of the Cancer patients, gall stones are observed. Due to stones in gall bladder, the skin gets thickened which leads to cancer, but all persons with gall stones do not get cancer.
  3. When the stone gets struck the area where they are present swell, inflammation occurs and leads to stomach pain. It is called as Acute Cholecystitis. The infection occurs and it may lead to pus formation. This is called as Emphysema of Gall Bladder. By inserting a tube and cleaning by removing pus, surgery is performed and gall bladder is removed.
  4. : When the stone slips into pancreas, it causes inflammation of pancreas, which is called pancreatitis. This case is life threating, so endoscopy is performed immediately to remove the stone followed by surgery.


In many cases the surgery has to be performed within 48 hours. The treatment may be by citi scan, ultra sound, laparoscopy, endoscopy for removal of gall bladder. In pregnants, the surgery is avoided for the first three months. Surgery is carried out in 3-6 months.

Related posts