Published On: Fri, Sep 18th, 2020

Boston Shaker gold mine : AngloGold Ashanti declares commercial production at underground gold project

Tagged with: | | | | |

Boston Shaker gold mine : AngloGold Ashanti and its joint venture partner IGO have started commercial production at the Boston Shaker Underground Project at the Tropicana Gold Mine in Western Australia.

Approved in March 2019, the Boston Shaker gold mine transitioned into commercial production this month on schedule, under the AUD105.7 million ($77 million) budget, and without any recordable safety incidents, said AngloGold Ashanti.

The Tropicana Gold Mine, which is situated 330 kilometres east-northeast of Kalgoorlie, is operated by AngloGold Ashanti Australia (AGAA) with a 70% interest. IGO holds the remaining stake of 30% in the Australian gold mine.

According to AngloGold Ashanti, the Boston Shaker Underground Project will yield nearly 1.1 million tonnes of ore per annum at an estimated grade of 3.5 grams/tonne. The underground gold mine will contribute nearly 100,000 ounces per annum to gold production over a mining life of seven years, said the South Africa-based fold mining giant.

Boston Shaker gold mine at the Tropicana gold project

AngloGold Ashanti , IGO announce commercial production at Boston Shaker gold mine at the Tropicana gold project. Photo courtesy of Karl Schoemaker/ AngloGold Ashanti Australia Ltd and Independence Group NL.

Commenting on the Boston Shaker gold mine, Michael Erickson – AngloGold Ashanti SVP Australia said: “Underground mining at Boston Shaker will leverage further value from this high performing operation, achieving payback in just over three years with upside potential as the deposit remains open at depth.

“The underground mine will contribute higher grade mill feed from the current quarter onwards, improving the gold production profile and enhancing cash flow during calendar 2021-2023 when the mine plan includes periods of higher waste stripping in the Havana open pit.”

AngloGold Ashanti said that the first production stope at the Boston Shaker gold mine was fired this June and underground ore production has now hit an annualized production rate of 0.7 Mtpa. The gold mining giant expects the design production rate of the underground gold project to be achieved in March 2021.

The Boston Shaker gold project achieved its commercial production milestone after the Tropicana Gold Mine produced its three millionth ounce in March 2020, seven years after pouring first gold in late 2013.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>